Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Drabbles

There is a Drabbles contest on Bookrix that l intend to join. To quote the site, "Drabbles are extremely short stories of exactly 100 words. The challenge is fitting in all the components of a story within a mere 100 words..."

Here's one I adapted from my Supermarket Bouncer piece, and it's exactly 100 words!

**********
Seriously, how long does it take to pick up a carton of milk? It feels like days since she abandoned me at the checkout line. Here I am being an irresponsible supermarket bouncer, letting shopper after shopper go ahead of me unchecked. To pass the time, I examine the products around me and discover more flavors of condoms than gum. Suddenly, I recognize a waving hand just as the lady in front finishes. Clearing a path through unattractive shoppers for my wife, I questioned her about the unprecedented rambutans and missing milk.

"“Sorry honey, I got distracted. Be right back!"


No comments:

Post a Comment