Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How to Test Out Bad Jokes?

Wow, I did it! Another step towards my dream! It feels great. I haven't felt this way in a long time. It's like when you get to a certain age in life, the feeling of achievement and excitement just doesn't come along as often as before.

When I was younger, each game we played on the basketball court meant so much more. Each competition I entered in made my nerves tingle and my blood rush. Every time I had to do a presentation for class, you feel the thrill of the performance. You bask in the limelight for that 10-15 minutes, all eyes are on you, and you are the star of your show!

I am slowly regaining that feeling of and desire for showmanship.

Today, I subjected myself to 5 minutes of open mic at TakeOut Comedy, the first full-time comedy club in Asia.

I had a blast, and can't wait to go again. The hours leading up to the performance was the most nerve-wrecking, but then I was put to ease as soon as I got there because everybody was just there to have some fun and try out new jokes! There's a good reason for open mic because we are capable of writing some pretty bad jokes. It's great to have an outlet to try them on people other than yourself. It's humbling really... It's a lot easier to amuse yourself than it is to make strangers laugh.

So check it out! Open Mic's every Tuesday at 8pm, sign-ups at 7:55pm. I'll post the clip later this week... Right now I've got to sleep and think of more filthy stuff to say on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment