Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Got Dated

The Jay Chou concert was awesome! Painstaking effort was put into every set, timely animations complemented the stage composition and elaborate yet interesting costumes for Jay as well as the dancers really brought home his talent and artistry. The show reverberated seriousness, craft and mastery of performance music.

Jay was confident and comfortable on stage, which really shone through when he conversed with the crowd. He sounded natural, sincere and unscripted, which is rare for almost any non-English concert. Despite his diminutive stature, Jay commanded the stage with charisma and control.

The producers did a great job in putting lyrics up on screen for the audience to follow since Jay is notorious for not-great enunciation on his tracks. This was the first time I paid real attention to his lyrics and was pleasantly impressed by how clever and poetic some of his lyrics were. Jay isn't the best singer, maybe not even a good one, but I have to give him credit for the amount of original work he put into each song's composition and lyrics.

This was definitely the best concert I have ever been to in a long while.

The only gripe I had with the whole performance was how dated I felt afterward. The only songs I knew were his "classics" from 5 or 8 years ago, and I didn't dig his newer songs much. He did sing a lot of his older songs, which was good for us "long-time fans", but it kind of reminded me of concerts that my parents would attend, where only the old songs got the most cheers and response from the audience.

Can't blame Jay for any of these nostalgic sentiments though. He has been in the music business for 10 years now.

Yep, I didn't realize how long he's been around until tonight.

Great show and Happy Mid-Autumn!

Special thanks to Pimp-Mama Chan for the sweet invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment